One of my favorite kitchen appliances, hands down, is the crock pot. It's so versatile, easy to use, and can really make any meal taste delicious without having to be in the kitchen for an hour. I learned of this recipe a while ago from the blog Rubies and Radishes and changed it up a little bit, adding a few ingredients but still keeping it super simple. I get all the ingredients for this recipe from Trader Joes, but I'm sure you can find similar ones anywhere else.
If you're in a rut or not sure what to make this week for dinner, this is a great go-to recipe. Put it in the crockpot before you leave for work and it will be ready to go when you come home.
Crock Pot Chicken Verde
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs OR 3-4 chicken breast
- 1 jar Trader Joes Salsa Verde (any salsa works, just make sure there is no sugar in the ingredients)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bag frozen Roasted Bell Pepper and Onions from Trader Joes (or fresh sliced peppers and onions)
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, chopped tomatoes, shredded carrots
- Put chicken, salsa, and salt and pepper in crockpot. Set to low and allow to cook for 4-6 hours
- During last 30 minutes or so, add in desired amount of bell pepper and onions (sometimes I do half the bag, sometimes I do all of it)
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and add additional salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over a bed of spinach and top with desired toppings.
For more from Megan, visit her at corewellnessandnutrition.com