Most of you who work in an office of any sort know what it's like to be constantly tempted by the gifts of your co-workers...i.e. candy, donuts, and cookies. In the back of your mind this "kind gesture" is really just an evil plot to sabotage your diet. At the same time it's already there, so why not partake? Especially when you're bored, stressed, hungry, or need a pick-me-up. Snacking is often the number one obstacle when it comes to weight loss. The best thing to do in these inevitable situations is to have a healthy alternative at hand. That way you won't feel like you're depriving yourself. You'll also feel more energized and satisfied rather than sluggish and sugar crashed.
Here are a 10 great snack ideas to take along with you to work:
In general, try mixing a fruit or veggie with a protein source
1. Cauliflower popcorn (You can also use kale, sweet potatoes, zucchini, or broccoli). Prep this in advanced, and distribute what you make into tuber wear to take with you to work. You can mix in almonds, cashews, or walnuts...or bring some in a separate baggie to eat with the veggies.
2. Turkey, cheese, and lettuce roll ups- Use nitrate free, organic deli turkey if possible such as Applegate. Wrap a slice of turkey around a piece of string cheese; then wrap a leaf of lettuce around that.
3. Protein Energy balls- This is a great alternative to protein bars, and you can control the amount of sugar that goes into them. There are lots of recipes out there, but here is a great example. You can use whey protein powder and almond butter rather than peanut. You can choose to add or omit some of the other superfood ingredients, but it gives you options to play around with: Protein Energy Balls
4. Hard boiled egg with carrot or celery sticks
5. Celery sticks with almond or cashew butter (try not to use more that 2 TBSPs of nut butter).
6. 2 squares of dark chocolate (72% or higher) mixed with a handful of almonds
7. Shrimp cocktail, mashed avocado or guacamole, and a handful or crackers (such as Blue Diamond’s gluten free nut-Thins)
8. Frozen blueberries with coconut milk- pour coconut milk over a ½ cup of blueberries. Sprinkle it with cinnamon (optional)
9. Banana with a handful of walnuts or cashews
10. Hummus and veggies